Thursday 15 August 2013

Nails of the Week: Hot Haute White

Happy Friday-eve loves!

I could not go through summer without having a least one white manicure or pedicure. I have always loved white nail polish to wear during the summer months, especially with a tan. Whites and nudes are great to accentuate summer bronzed skin, the contrast really compliments both the bronze in tanned skin and the starkness of the white against tanned skin.


I had recently purchased these really cute, tiny silver ball nail decals and thought that they would go really nicely together against the white polish. Something to add a little fun to just an ordinary white manicure. I bought these here at a local Sally's Beauty supply for about $6.


A great trick to getting an opaque, streak free white manicure, is to apply a layer of Matte top coat in between the coats of white. This will ensure an even application and finish. I am pretty comfortable with applying nail polish/laquer, so this time I won't be applying the matte coat. This is so that I don't have to use so many layers and don't want the finished product to be too thick or to bubble.

Lets get started...





















First and foremost, I start by washing my hands to remove and dirt and debris, but to also scrub and soften the cuticle for grooming. Once my hands are clean, I groom and file my nails to my desired length and shape and make sure the nail beds are dry and ready. Before applying polish, I like to smear on some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the skin around my nail beds, this way it keeps the polish on the nail bed and makes clean up easy later.

I am using MAC Cream Nail Laquer in "Vestral White", the one pictured is from their Hello Kitty Limited Edition Collection, and is a creamy, true stark white. Once my hands were ready and prepped I applied the first coat on all fingers of my MAC Laquer.


And a second coat...

And a third...

I made sure that each coat was nice and dry before applying the next and once all three coats were on, I left my nails to dry about 20 mins before starting to apply my top coat and nail decals.





















For the nail decals, you need to make sure that the top coat is still a little wet and tacky. You don't want it to be too wet that the decals might slip, or too dry where they won't stick. I applied the top coat nail by nail, waited about 30 seconds and applied the decal with tweezers to the nail bed.


Once I had all the decals in the right place as I liked, I went ahead and applied another layer of the top coat to seal the decal in place.

I allotted about 30 minutes out of my evening to make sure I would let my nails dry without interruption. I didn't want to ruin or move any of the decals, or worse, smudge the white polish and have to start all over!

And voila!






How much fun (and how easy!?) is this manicure?!?! I absolutely love white nails for summer and the daintiness of the decal just make it so pretty! I honestly can't stop staring lol! I have to admit I feel  very fashion forward with these nails, and I love the decals! I can't wait to try them again with other colours and different designs!

How did you like this manicure? Do you think white is a summer staple mani colour? Let me know what you think about this manicure and if you would try this on yourself before the season is over in the comments box below! I would love to you see your take on white hot nails, be sure to tag me on Instagram and Twitter by using #Makeupmasochist :) Don't forget to leave me some ideas or suggestions of manicures that you would like to see or have a tutorial for, I want to know what you want to read about next for nail art!

For more manicure ideas and tutorials, be sure to email subscribe to my blog (top-right corner), and you can also follow my blog with all of your other favourite bloggers on Bloglovin - just search my blog and follow! For more daily posts and photos, be sure to follow me on Instagram (@fernonje) and you can also email me with any questions or inquiries at makeupmasochist@gmail.com :D

Feelin' hot, hot, HAUTE !

xoxo
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment