Wednesday 29 May 2013

Restaurant Review: Joey's Yorkdale

Hey Y'all!

Since one of my all time favourite things to do is to eat, my partner and I like to try different restaurants and cuisines that are offered here in Toronto. Toronto has so many amazing restaurants that have some of the most amazing chefs in the world that offer some amazing signature dishes. If you ever plan on coming to Toronto to visit, I definitely recommend doing a restaurant tour or at least, doing some research into what restaurants are good to visit while you are here.

We are frequent Yorkdale shoppers (Yorkdale = best mall ever!). And although we visit Yorkdale often, we have never eaten at the restaurant "Joey's" even though we always say we will. Yorkdale in the last year, has opened up a whole new corridor with a lot of the top boutiques, along with a larger new Apple store and a new Windows store. At the same time with the corridor, "Joey's" was built.






After a very successful MAC haul, thanks to my birthday gift cards, we finally made our way over to "Joey's". Overall first impression was pleasant, the restaurant and its decor is very rustic, but still contemporary and modern. The chandeliers are absolutely stunning and huge in size! We loved the option of booth or table, and if you know me, I always prefer a booth! There were two seating levels, with booths, tables, a bar in the center and a huge TV on the opposite wall. Great set up for both formal dinners and casual drinks. I would definitely come back here and watch a game next time!












Glancing over the menu, one side was the complete drink menu, lots of variety- wine, beers, cocktails - the average prices, not overpriced. The food menu I found had a great variety of dishes for all to like. There were definitely a couple of dishes I was back and forth with for appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Prices for the food were average for what they had to offer and the type of restaurant. Although they did have a lot to offer, there was not one thing that really jumped out at me or screamed "signature dish". I wish there would have been this moment where I didn't even want to look at anything else on the menu because I found THE DISH!

To begin we had the fried Calamari, which was a very nice start. The portion size was great for sharing, more than enough for the two of us, and the presentation (we called it "Calamari Mountain") was very nice. The calamari was perfectly cooked, not rubbery or soggy, and the breading was nice and fluffy. The sauces that was served with the calamari were a Cajun-ranch type and I think it was the same sauce drizzled on the calamari as well. So far we are very happy and excited for what's next.


Since it was around lunch time, both my partner and I ordered sandwiches. I've been seriously craving some Greek food lately and since Tzatziki one of my favourite things of life, I went with the chicken souvlaki sandwich on a pita. I got it with a side of sweet potato fries. I really enjoyed my sandwich, the bread was a nice fluffy pita and the chicken souvlaki had a great grilled taste, it was definitely the star of the dish. The veggies and other fillers in the sandwich were fresh and the chicken was hot when it arrived, which I like. The only thing that I have to say that's semi-negative is that I wish they had used a fresh Tzatziki. It was a bit watery and tasted store bought. But did the job when I put it in my sandwich. The sweet potato fries were crispy and hot and they served it with this garlic butter/mayo.


My partner ordered the lobster grilled cheese sandwich with a side of sweet potato fries. The portion was pretty good for a little toasted sandwich and they put nice big chunks of lobster in it. The lobster added this nice sweet element against the sharp cheddar, and there was a a nice twist of nutmeg seasoning. Very light and pleasant, I would order this for myself next time! If you love lobster (who doesn't!?) and grilled cheese sandwiches (again... Who doesn't!?), you will not be disappointed with this!

Although their desserts sounded amazing, we were stuffed and could not eat anything more! Trust me, I really wanted to because the desserts sounded incredible! They had chocolate lava cake, and another type of delicious chocolate cake contraption, pie... It was amazing I actually resisted! It would have been so gluttonous and perfect at the same time.


All in all I would rate this restaurant a 4 out of 5. I loved the atmosphere, all the servers were very nice and welcoming, and the food was good. I did feel a lacking in the menu and some flavors, but over all it was good. Like I've mentioned, I would come back for drinks and a game with friends as that seems like it would be a good place for that. It's a new restaurant, so I'm sure there will be a lot of changes in the menu, so I'm excited to see what will be different in a future visit.

If this seems like a place you would like to try, here is their website for some more research. They have more than one location in Toronto to make it convenient for everyone. http://www.joeyrestaurants.com/

If you have visited this restaurant before or will in the future, let me know what you thought of it in the comments box below! I hope you foodies find this review helpful, but don't take my word for it! This is just my opinion, go there and decide for yourself! You've heard my opinion and I would love to hear yours!

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog for more reviews and posts on Toronto restaurants and cuisines! You can also follow my blog on Bloglovin' (Makeupmasochist) and for more daily photos and posts follow my Instagram (@fernonje). Leave me any comments or suggestions of restaurants for me to visit for future reviews! You can also email me makeupmasochist@gmail.com. I will be sure to answer all my lovelies!

Some food for thought.

xoxo
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment