Monday 30 September 2013

Maven Manicure: My Julep September Box

Anyone else finding that this month has flown by?


September was a great month for Julep Mavens, there were plenty of great fall shades to choose from and the beauty products looked great. Making it very hard for an indecisive girl to choose which box I wanted, almost opting to not look and have this month be a complete surprise. That seemed a little extreme, so I bit my lip and chose the "Classic with a Twist" box and didn't look back!

Honestly, I don't think I could have made a better choice now that I have my items, all my doubts are now rest assured, it was tough to choose with so many lovely colours. I got two great fall limited edition nail colours with a full sized beauty product - the 'Bare Face Cleansing Oil'. Here are the products in more detail:





Padma Nail Colour - on the website, this colour is described as a "Royal Plum Cream", however there is a subtle purple shimmer so I don't know if I would count it completely as a cream. It goes on as a deep eggplant purple, and is mostly opaque with one coat - two coats might be needed for more even colour. It's very dark and vampy, perfect for fall! It's an almost black-purple, when you quickly glance it could be mistaken for black.




Florence Nail Colour - on the website, this colour is described as a "Classic Camel Cream", and is true to its description - this is the perfect neutral nude. It goes on a bit streaky with he first coat, two coats are definitely necessary to get an even colour across the nail bed. I love this nude, it's not too warm, it's not too cool or grey - just right! Fun to pair with fall colours!





Bare Face Cleansing Oil (with Power Cell Complex) - this cleanser is described on the website as a "lightweight, antioxidant-rich cleanser that gently and thoroughly dissolves makeup, dirt and excess oil without over-drying skin, then rinses clean with no oily residue. Recommended for all skin types." I'm excited to see how this will measure up to MAC's 'Cleanse Off Oil', and I will be doing a future review post on this product to see how, and if, it holds its own. The only negative thing that I have to point out... From my first initial impression, right off the bat - the colour of the product is a little off. It's urine yellow and a little unpleasant to look at. But that's just me.


I do have to point out that the Nail Colours came in some new and different packaging than it usually does, a little more environmentally friendly which is much appreciated. And it looks super fresh and cute!


I decided to do a regular manicure this time with a transitional nail (of course!) with the two colours I've received. Here's how I gave myself a cute and sexy fall manicure with my new Nail Colours from my Maven box!

First, as always, I make sure to prep my nails by scrubbing and washing my hands and nails. Then I apply some Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) around my nail beds to ensure I stay in the lines and makes clean up easy later.

I apply the first coat...

And the second...


Making sure to let each coat completely dry before applying the next, will help even out the colour and prevent streaking. Once both coats were complexly dry, I apply the final coat of top coat to seal it all in and give it a nice shine. I had recently broken my OPI Top Coat and replaced it win this cute little bottle from my local beauty supply. It's a deal at $.95!


Once the top coat was applied, I made sure to give myself sufficient time to let it all dry completely before doing or starting any tasks. I like to "smudge-proof" my manicures this way!

And voila!



I love this manicure colour combination, and everything I got in my box this month - a perfect introduction to Fall! I love fall fashion, holidays, colours, and this is the perfect way to incorporate those fall colours and trends into ones everyday fall look!



Mavens! What box did you choose in September and did you love the items you got this month? Are you loving (or hating) the Cleansing Oil? Did you also chose the 'Classic with a Twist' box? What are you loving the most? Tell me, tell me, tell me, in the comments box below! I will be doing a review on the Cleansing Oil once I give it a go and some time to do its magic - so stay tuned for that if you're interested!

To become a Maven, for more information, or to purchase please visit the link below:

http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/230456/

For more manicure ideas and to see what comes in the mail for me next month, please be sure to subscribe to my blog by inputting your email into the box at the top of this page. I'm also on Bloglovin', click the icon at the top of the page or search my blog and follow! You can also leave me suggestions or questions by email at makeupmasochist@gmail.com or in the comments box below. Don't forget to follow me on Instagram (@fernonje) and tag me #MakeupMasochist so I can see what you got in your Mavens box and your Maven manicures!!

Happy Manicure Monday!!

xoxo
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment